If your company uses Google Drive, you may need to gain access to the entirety an employee’s files if they leave the company. In order to do this, you will need to change the ownership of that employee’s files using the following steps:
- Log into your company’s Google Admin Console
- Click Apps -> G Suite -> Drive and Docs
- Click Transfer ownership. Fill in the emails of the old owner and new owner.
- Click Transfer Files.
- The old owner will still be able to view the files until you suspend their account.
If you only need to transfer ownership of singular files, follow these steps:
- Note that only the owner of the file can transfer the ownership
- Highlight the file or document you would like to transfer ownership of
- Click share -> advanced
- Click the dropdown menu next to the name of the person who you would like to be owner -> click “is owner.”
Unfortunately, Google Drive does not currently support transferring whole folders and subfolders, so ownership of singular files must be transferred individually.